Upholding the Truth

Written by Christopher sermonindex.net

Hello all,

I would like to interject my concerns with the difficulty behind the underlying principle of “upholding the Truth.” Everyone who is a real believer assumes that they are upholding “high standards on Truth.” Every man of God (professional or layman) holds to a set of ideals that he believes to be “Truth.” Yet there will always be some man or woman, congregation, apologist or would-be “prophet” and “watchman” who will disagree.

Some people truly believe that they are “upholding the Truth” when they proclaim that the KJV is the only true Word of God. Some people truly believe that they are “upholding the Truth” when they proclaim that there will be no “gathering of the saints” before the period of God’s wrath. Some people think that they are “upholding the Truth” when they proclaim that there WILL be a “rapture.” Some churches truly believe that they are “upholding the Truth” when they set particular standards for modesty that they believe is clearly spelled out in Scripture (such as women wearing only dresses…or physical head coverings). Some people believe that they are “upholding the Truth” when they proclaim that “once you’re saved, you will always be saved.” Others believe that they are “upholding the Truth” when they proclaim an opposite viewpoint. Some people believe that they are “upholding the Truth” when they proclaim that the baptism of the Holy Spirit is evidenced by speaking in tongues. Others believe that they are “upholding the Truth” when they proclaim otherwise regarding tongues.

Do you see the difficulty behind a set definition of “upholding the Truth?” Taking a stand on one or all of these is not necessarily “upholding the Truth.” Rather, it is upholding doctrinal peculiarities. How do I know? Because, a very large percentage of true believers cannot agree on any number of such issues.

I certainly believe in prophets…and defenders of the faith…and watchmen. Yet, it is my experience that many would-be “prophets” and “watchmen” are merely proclaiming doctrinal peculiarities than “Truth.” Far too often, they are willing to point the finger of “heresy” at anyone who disagrees with their particular doctrinal views…with a smugness that comes as though they believe that they are doing their “duty” for Christ. For over five years on SermonIndex, I have noticed that most of the heated disputes occur when one believer proclaims something to be “Truth” in the face of other believers.

One thing that I love about Leonard Ravenhill is that I don’t necessarily know where he “stood” on many of the issues that divide much of the Body of Christ. I don’t know where he stood on “eternal security” or “head coverings.” I don’t know what he thought about music. I don’t know where he stood on many, many issues. Even on those issues that he did have some semblance of a “stand,” I don’t know that I ever saw him “proclaim” such things as “standards” by which he was “upholding the Truth.” This is even interesting in the fact that I met with him in his home when I was a young teenager shortly before he died.

During that meeting, Brother Ravenhill told me that he was going to tell me one of the most important things that he had learned during his life. He didn’t proclaim some supposed “truth” about the coming of the Lord, the extent to which salvation can be lost or not, or whether he felt one translation of the Bible was supreme to all others. He didn’t instruct me about music…or a personal definition about “worldliness.” Rather, Brother Ravenhill simply urged me to “test everything.” He literally told me to not believe anything that I had ever been taught or read…because this is largely the reason why the Church is in the condition that it is in. Believers are too quick to believe something. He explained that the Church is in the condition that it is in because the Church has been operating like it has for a long time. A true revival, he explained, is when each person is consumed with an unquenchable hunger to know and fellowship with Jesus…and where nothing else matters as much.

There are a lot of silly definitions being spread around the Body of Christ regarding what a “revival” will be. Many supposed “watchmen” seem to think that a “real” revival will occur when everyone will embrace and uphold their particular ideas about doctrinal “Truth.” How silly. I seriously doubt that a time will come on this side of Eternity in which all believers will agree upon every last doctrinal detail. Leonard Ravenhill could be considered a “watchman” by some – not because he upheld and proclaimed a particular set of doctrines, but because he stressed the need for mere men to take Christ (and eternity) seriously. Too often, I think, “truth” is lost in the details.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is pure and simple. It is men who complicate it. It is men who create particular standards for “Truth” (which is often what they consider “doctrinal purity”) and then proclaim as much to their listeners. I think that this is what Brother ChrisJD was saying in his post (correct me if I am wrong, brother). I believe part of the reason that the Church needs to be revived is because the Church has left the simplicity of the Gospel and begun focusing upon doctrinal issues and persuasions that divide the Body of Christ. Yet it is possible to have true Biblical unity of the faith without agreeing on every last dot and tittle. Remember, if any person were to stand (even here in SermonIndex) and proclaim EVERYTHING that they believe to be “truth”…quite a few people will stand in opposition.

There are some things that are undeniable foundational truths. These things are spelled out clearly in the Word of God. The most important of these is a deep awareness of our need for the Lord and a longing to have a relationship with Him. I am troubled, however, by those who would choose to proclaim remote doctrinal peculiarities as “upholding the Truth.” Even many of those who would agree on a “need for particular doctrinal clarity” and “obedience” would be surprised to find that many people would agree with the notion but disagree on the definition of “Truth” in regard to such peculiarities.

Please do not make the mistake that I am trying to say that doctrine is not important. We need to uphold what is true. Yet the problem of division comes in the details…in which some men would become confrontational by insisting on a particular set of doctrines that are not largely agreed upon by those people who truly seek Jesus. Thank God that He does not make an exhaustive list of doctrinal “conditions” for becoming a child of God! Many would be prophets walk around with a “victim syndrome” as they complain that some people do not listen to them regarding a peculiarity – and then equate this to a rejection of “Truth.” There is something wrong with this picture…when we can’t distinguish between a peculiar set of doctrinal views and “undeniable truth.”

Anyway, please understand that I am not trying to be discordant about such things. This has been an issue on SermonIndex – and in the Body of Christ – for a long time. If anyone here (including those who believe that they are “watchmen”) were to stand up and proclaim exactly what they considered to be “Truth” – there will be an dispute or debate (even from their closest brethren). Another very sincere believer (with a jealous love for our Lord) will point to what is being proclaimed and say that it is not “truth.” Will the original proclaimer of that supposed "truth" be so bold and audacious as to proclaim that those with whom they disagree to be in an error or delusion...or will they simply feel that they have a difference of opinion on a particular matter?

0 comments: